Three miles north west of Woodbridge, and pronounced by locals “Deb-idge”, Debach Airfield was the last US Army Air Force heavy bomber station to become operational in Suffolk in the Second World War, flying its first mission on D-Day, 6th June 1944.
The airfield was the home to the 493rd Bomb Group of the 8th US Army Air Force, which flew a total of 157 Liberator and Flying Fortress missions from the station in 1944-45. The Bomb Group was latterly known as “Helton’s Hellcats”, named after its first commanding officer, Col. Elbert Helton.
The airfield’s control tower is one of several buildings which have been restored to show their original use.
The museum is normally open on the last Sundays in the months of April, May, June, July, August and September, from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm
Back to Air bases.